1.19.3 has been quite the unexpected update in the 1.19 update series, and it’s causing us a bit of a headache with QSL.
Let’s sum up the update really quickly:
- 1.19.3 is a 1.19 “minor” update.
- Internally 1.19.3 has seen several refactors (registries, JSON-only world-generation, etc.)
- Mojang announced a new release scheme (minors having more refactors and also experimental toggles instead of using longer snapshot cycle). For players it’s not supposed to change much aside from pushing sooner bug fixes, but for modders this has big implications (minor versions are less likely to be compatible for mods now).
- Several modders seem to be split between supporting 1.19.2 or 1.19.3 (cf the Forge poll: “The 1.19.2 Dilemma”).
- The 1.19 update series don’t seem to be finished as we can see with 1.19.4.
At Quilt we have the Quilt Standard Libraries, a.k.a. QSL, and it’s very version-dependent due to its nature of being a modding API that interacts directly with the Minecraft code.
So far its 1.18.2 version is discontinued (only receiving critical updates), the 4.x-series of QSL is targeting 1.19.2 and the 5.x-series of QSL is targeting 1.19.3, at least at the moment.
At the QSL team, we’re a bit torn apart. Usually in such occurences we would only support the latest minor release along with the latest minor release of the previous major version (which we haven’t done with 1.18.2 due to Quilt being in beta and the team having faced availability issues).
So we discussed a bit, and went on an idea of supporting both 1.19.2 and the latest 1.19 minor version. Though, this is a bit more complex and we clearly cannot decide that for ourselves. That’s why this post exists, we need feedback and now what version to focus our efforts on.
Here’s some ideas we’ve found already:
- Maintain 1.19.2 and latest minor version of 1.19:
- Focus main efforts to 1.19.2 (as-in PRs for 1.19.2 first, then port to latest, and get updates for 1.19.2 first too)
- Focus main efforts to latest (as-in PRs for latest first, then backport if applicable to 1.19.2, and get updates for latest first)
- In both cases 1.19.2 would be maintained but not the latest 1.19 minor version once 1.20 comes out.
- Get a bit risky and give up on 1.19.2 and make 1.19.3 the QSL “stable” version. This would mean support for that version until 1.21 comes out as we would like some kind of 2 stable versions maintained at the same time, which in this case could mean 1.19.3 and 1.20 once it’s out.
- Only maintain for the latest version while Quilt is in beta.
If you have more ideas please throw them in the thread!
I’d like to also note that, despite the annoyance the refactors 1.19.3 may bring to modders, it cleaned up several parts of the codebase, made data-pack resource loading less jank, and improved performances (especially load times).
Before you go add a response to this thread, I’d like to give some pointers on how to respond to such post: please specify your point of view (like, are you talking as a player? a modder?), this will help both parties to understand where interest lays.
We’re pretty excited to see what will come out of this discussion, so get to your keyboards!